Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Gone (are the days of) Fishin'

I finished Felten's How's Your Drink the other day and must say that it was thoroughly satisfying. A really fun read with delightfully tasty accompaniments. One of my personal favorites of the cocktails that I've tried so far is the Florodora. Though I won't spoil it's unique history I will divulge the recipe. That way if you find yourself bored while sipping away you can do a bit of research to keep you occupied.

Florodora
1 1/2 oz gin
3/4 oz framboise (raspberry liquer)
1/2 oz lime juice
3-4 oz ginger ale

Build in a tall glass with plenty of ice. Garnish with a slice of lime and enjoy!

I finished Hows Your Drink thirsty for more foodie literature and have started reading a book dealing with a topic that I've been meaning to inform myself upon for a while now. The real push came after I heard that the salmon season in California would be closed this year due to record low numbers. Eating in a sustainable manner and still finding ways to enjoy foods that one loves can be tricky and seafood is a particularly difficult topic to navigate. In hopes of gaining a better understanding of the problems that exist on a topic that is dear to my heart and stomach I have turned to Taras Grescoe's Bottomfeeder: How to Eat Ethically in a World of Vanishing Seafood. I'm only two chapters in so far but it's a terribly intriguing read. I promise to keep you all updated with any interesting insight that I glean along the way. If you want more information right away I suggest that you pick up your own copy of the book and for a great source of free information on the web you can visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium website.

No comments: